Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Spyware and registry entries and viruses, Oh My!

I've just spent the last day and a half trying desparately to rid my 3 year old Windows XP IBM Thinkpad laptop of whatever processes are slowing it to a crawl, courtesy of Dave Taylor's web site.

I was surprised that by running freeware RegSeeker I was able to eliminate over 1000 unused entries from my register.

But, problem still not solved. I'm beginning to suspect that my huge Outlook pst file is the culprit, although I've been auto archiving old files. Still, I tend to keep everything in elaborate folder structures.

Could also be my Outlook addins, like search tool Looksmart, which I've come to rely on, or Alladins, which allows me to print labels, or Stamps.com, which I never use.

The joys of being your own IT department continue...

No comments: